Kathleen Mary Kushi Carter
TRIAL PRACTICE AREAS:
In a career spanning over 20 years, Ms. Kathleen Carter has become a leading litigator in Southern California as well as an expert in litigation management. Her reputation as a tough, uncompromising trial attorney has allowed her to achieve great success not only for her clients, but personally as well. Whether representing businesses or individuals on either side of the aisle, Ms. Carter’s wide expertise in handling matters ranging from employment law and consumer actions to commercial disputes has allowed her to earn a position of great respect amongst her peers.
Ms. Carter’s ability to consistently deliver iron-clad arguments and winning trial strategies has made her the litigator of choice for clients seeking only the best in legal representation. She has effectively represented large national corporations in multi-million dollar lawsuits, won seven figure damage awards for clients involved in personal injury cases, and successfully defended an international firm in a high stakes class action matter. Her reputation and results have caused clients to seek her assistance in multiple jurisdictions including Nevada, Washington, Delaware, Indiana and Georgia.
In addition to her impressive trial record, she has also proven herself to be a highly capable businesswoman. She has worked with several companies in establishing transactional planning strategies resulting in marked growth for those firms. Her ability to understand the complex needs of effective business management resulted in an offer to manage one of the top 50 law firms in Orange County, California, as ranked by the Orange County Business Journal. Under her direction, the firm was recognized in 2002 as the fastest growing law group in the county.
Ms. Carter earned her Bachelors degree from Saint Anselm College in Manchester, New Hampshire. She received her Juris Doctor from Vermont Law School in South Royalton, Vermont and her MBA from Pepperdine University in Malibu, California. She has won the American Jurisprudence Award for her work in Property, Conflicts of Law and Moot Court. She was given the Award of Excellency in Appellate Advocacy at the Thomas M. Debevoise Invitational Moot Court Competition.
- Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA (Masters of Business Administration – 2007)
- Vermont Law School, South Royalton, VT (Juris Doctor cum laude – 1991)
- Saint Anselm College, Manchester, NH (Bachelor of Arts – 1988)
- State Bar of California
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States District Court for the Central District of California
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California
- United States District Court for the Southern District of California
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
- United States District Court for Southern District of Indiana
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Orange County Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- National Association of Professional and Executive Women
- BUZZ, An Executive Women’s Think Tank
- National Association of Minority & Women Owned Law Firms
- Women’s Business Enterprise National Council
- Obtained $10 million settlement in commercial dispute involving copyright
infringement on behalf of a leading national corporation against largest clothing retailer in the United States
- Tried commercial dispute between multiple corporations and shareholders regarding
stock disputes and ownership rights obtaining verdict for client corporation in excess of $1.5 million.
- Defended successfully class action litigation against large international corporation defeating certification of class claims under the Song Beverly Act and California
Consumer Legal Remedies Act.
- Tried brain injury case against corporation to jury verdict resulting in settlement of approximately $1 million.
- Won defense jury verdict in failure to engage in interactive process and disability discrimination case on behalf of employer involving effects of medication and transient disability.
- Successfully defended overtime, meal and rest period case by a part-time school
teacher and administrative assistant against a private school employer.
- Defensed age discrimination claim by senior management employee against non-profit organization.
- Obtained jury award in collection claim while successfully defending cross-complaint alleging FDCPA violations.
- Successfully defended multi-plaintiff lawsuit involving claims of improper condominium conversion in Los Angeles County asserting violations of Los Angeles Municipal Code
and California Government Code as well as unfair competition claims.
- Obtained defense jury verdict in bad faith lawsuit against large insurer.
- Won $17.5 million jury verdict in paraplegia case for 36 year old man injured in a construction site accident, representing the highest gross verdict at the time for an individual plaintiff in the Rancho Cucamonga branch of the San Bernardino Superior
- Successfully prosecuted commercial contract claim for international media company
while simultaneously defending cross-complaint for breach of contract and fraud
seeking in excess of $3 million in alleged lost profit.
- Successfully prosecuted fraud claim in residential and real estate transaction receiving
in excess of $1 million
- Defended wrongful eviction and habitability claims on behalf of residential landlord in multi-unit condominium building.
- Succeeded in limiting the application of the Song Beverly Act to consumer credit transactions in published appellate decision in Archer vs National Rentals
- “998 Offer Post-Verdict Valuation – How It Really Works” – September, 2005
- “Cumis and Its Progency” – January, 2011